Only 7 # 1 Singles in 2002?

Now here is another wacky year for the Billboard Hot 100. In 2002, there were only 7 actual # 1 singles for the year. Did it have anything to do with the huge decline in the retail singles market? Did it seem like the Hot 100 essentially became an airplay chart from late 2001 to early 2005?

Hey @Jarrett_Nolan or @jtmichaelson do you perhaps know why this could be?

This era is @Jarrett_Nolan area of expertise. I’ll IM J with the question.

Thanks for your input, it is an interesting era for the Hot 100.

My hugest apologies for taking this long to reply. While I don’t work for Billboard, the labels or any music publications, this is merely my opinion with no insider information. That’s my disclaimer and I’m sticking to it! That said…

Billboard was still foolishly holding onto the “must be a physical single” decree to chart on the Hot 100. Hip Hop and R&B artists and labels were OK with that and kept throwing out singles like frisbees! Labels for rock-leaning bands and artists were all like “Buy the album” which usually sucked save for those one or two songs the consumers wanted. I beleive that had those songs been released, there would have been so much more turnover.

Thanks for the question.

-j!-

Thank you for your response. It was certainly an interesting year for the Hot 100 chart.